Poison Prevention Awareness Month: 4 Tips for Keeping Your Pets Safe

Poison Prevention Awareness Month is designed to increase awareness of items in your household and premises that can result in an accidental pet poisoning.  Chances are good that you're cognizant of the fact that your home contains poisonous items, but there are other things that can also poison your pet that you might not be aware of. Pets have a tendency to get into things they shouldn't and when you least expect it. Following are some tips to help you keep your pet safe from poisonous items and avoid an emergency trip to our Bend vet clinic.

1. Know Your Poisons

Your home is full of things that are poisonous to pets. Antifreeze, alcohol, acetaminophen, bleach, cold medications, disinfectants and more are deadly for cats and dogs. All products that have "phenol" in their name are also toxic to pets. Keep all poisonous and toxic products, medications and foods stored in places that curious noses and paws can't reach. Accidental ingestion of these items requires emergency veterinary care for immediate treatment. If you're not sure about what is or isn't poisonous to pets, talk to our vets in Bend for more information. The vet or the staff at the Bend vet clinic can help you learn more about poisonous chemicals and substances.

2. Don't Leave Poisonous Items Unattended

It's normal to have poisonous products in the house as they're useful for cleaning, hobbies and general maintenance. Always make sure to put the lid back on the container when working with chemicals and other poisonous products even if it's inconvenient. Getting into the habit of firmly closing the container means you won't have to worry about getting emergency veterinary care in Bend if a curious pet knocks over the container.

3. Keep Your Pet Away from Rodents

Many cats and dogs have a strong prey drive that makes them want to hunt for rodents. If you happen to see a rodent behaving strangely or is noticeable during the daytime, don't let your pet go after it. The rodent may have been poisoned and rodent poison frequently causes what is known as "secondary kill". That is, the poison gets into the bloodstream of the animal that ate a poisoned rodent and can die as a result. If you suspect your pet has gotten ahold of a poisoned rodent, call our veterinarians in Bend immediately for emergency care.

4. Rinse Surfaces with Water After Cleaning

Many cleaning products are toxic to pets, even when diluted. Pets that walk across a floor or surface that has recently been mopped with a cleaning agent are at risk of ingesting the product when they groom themselves. Accidental ingestion isn't the only risk, however. Pets can absorb the cleaners through their paws and skin and contract poisoning as a result. Make sure that you thoroughly rinse the floor or surface with water after using cleaning products to avoid needing emergency veterinary care in Bend for your pet. You want a thorough dilution of the cleaning product after you've finished the job in order to avoid an accidental poisoning.

 

Comments are closed.