Pet care in the fall
Fall is just around the corner here in Central Oregon. The mornings are chillier and the nights are cooler. While this is a great time for your pet, the weather isn’t too hot and it’s perfect to get them out and about, there are some precautions for fall that you should take.
Looking out for wildlife
The weather is cooler, and perhaps local trails will finally allow you to take your dog off-leash. If you’re heading out for a hike with your pup, be sure to lookout for other wildlife. As fall progresses, snakes begin to prepare for hibernation, which increases the possibility of bites to unsuspecting pets, and humans too. Known what kinds of venomous snakes exist in your area, and where they’re most likely to be found so you can avoid those areas with your pet.
Like spring, fall is a huge mushrooming season. People head out to hunt for mushrooms in the wild. Be sure to leave your pet at home. Mushrooms can be toxic and cause life-threatening problems in pets. Non-toxic mushrooms can be hard to distinguish from toxic mushrooms, so it’s best just to keep your pet away from areas that contain mushrooms. It’s also important to see which other plants that grow in the fall can be poisonous to your pet.
Rodenticides or Cold Weather Poisons
As the weather cools, rodents tend to move inside to nest for the winter. It can be a time when the use of rat and mouse poisons increase. These poisons are highly toxic to your furry friends, and if they ingest them the results can be fatal. If you use these products, consider where you use them in your home and make sure they’re out of the reach of your pets.
Something you may have not considered before, if you change the coolant in your car, be careful as to where you spill. Ethylene glycol-based coolants are toxic to animals, so be sure to clean up after a change.
You may be so busy shuttling your kids to the store for new school supplies, that you may not notice a few markers or glue sticks missing. While most back to school supplies have low-toxicity as they’re designed for children, they can still cause issues with your pets. Items that are small enough to be chewed on or swallowed may cause intestinal blockage problems down the line.
Be careful with your pets in the fall, and at any time of the year. Consider what can be left out, and what they have access to. Be sure to keep toxins out of reach, and keep in mind that some toxins may not appear toxic to you, but they can be harmful to your pets.