Mushroom Poisonings in Central Oregon

mushroom-dogStarting in May each year Bend veterinarians begin to see emergency cases of toxic mushroom ingestions most commonly by canine patients.  Toxic mushrooms are classified into four categories ( A, B, C, and D)  Category A mushrooms typically cause cellular damage especially in the liver and kidneys. Category B and C typically demonstrate neurological signs, and Category D show gastrointestinal signs.   Fortunately here in Central Oregon we most commonly see Category B, C and D.  The cases start most commonly in LaPine and Sunriver and then weeks later in Bend and surrounding areas.  The following are some of the more common symptoms Bend veterinarians see associated with mushroom poisonings:  vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, uncoordinated movements, weakness, lethargy, drooling, seizures and coma.

mushroom3

If you suspect your pet has ingested a toxic mushrooms, or is showing any of the signs listed above you should call our office at 541-383-3833 or the Animal Emergency Center of Central Oregon here in Bend – 541-383-3833

The veterinarian will begin with obtaining a thorough history, performing a complete physical examination, and then likely recommending a complete blood count, a biochemistry profile, and a urinalysis.   Treatment can often require hospitalization with IV fluid support and medical management of the clinical signs.  Ie. Anti-nausea medications, anti-diarrheal, pain medications, sedatives, and muscle relaxants.   Hospitalization and treatment time depends on the type of mushroom ingested, weight of the patient, and the amount ingested.

mushrooms

To prevent you pets from possibly ingesting mushrooms we recommend you walk you yard twice daily to pick any mushrooms you see and try not to overwater your yard.

Comments are closed.