Category Archives: Dogs Health

February is National Pet Dental Health Month

Bad breath in dogs and cats can be more than just an annoyance; it may be a sign of oral disease that, if left untreated, can lead to other serious health risks and significantly affect the quality of your pet’s life. Dental disease is one of the most common problems encountered in veterinary medicine today…
Read more

Winter Weather & Your Pets

Many animals are not equipped to be outside through freezing temperatures. Even if they have thick fur it may not insulate well enough from the cold. When fur gets wet, it loses most of the ability to insulate heat in the body. Dogs with short hair are even more susceptible to colder weather. As Temperatures…
Read more

How Often Should I Bathe My Dog?

Living in Central Oregon and owning a dog go hand in hand. Not only do we live in a beautiful part of the state, we also have access to outdoor adventures whenever we are in the need for some fresh air. Oftentimes people bring their dog along for outside activities and with the high desert…
Read more

Pet Safety Tips for the Fall Season

Pet Safety Tips for the Fall Season

Hooray for a great summer of adventures and lazy days with your favorite pets. Hopefully, you were able to experience some outdoor fun with the beautiful weather we had here in Central Oregon. Perhaps you had some swim days at the river or a great bike ride with your furry friend in tow?!

As summer comes to an end and the days become shorter and cooler, you’ll want to keep some things in mind when it comes to your pet. Any new season brings its own risks for your beloved companions and knowing what to look for will help ensure you keep your pet out of harm's way.

The following list identifies some risks for the upcoming Fall season;


It can be difficult to recognize the difference between toxic and non-toxic mushrooms, especially when there are so many varieties that can grow. The best advice is to just assume all mushrooms are toxic for your pet and remove any that grow wherever your pet spends time. The moisture from sprinklers still running, rain and just the change in outside temperatures can create the perfect environment for mushrooms to start sprouting up in your yard. You’ll want to pay close attention because mushrooms grow quickly and can blend in with dirt and certain grasses. The parasol-shaped mushrooms and any small brown mushrooms are highly toxic. Mushroom poisoning can cause all kinds of symptoms including vomiting, diarrhea, other digestive problems, and liver failure. If you suspect your animal has ingested mushrooms, you’ll want to take them to the vet as soon as possible because the symptoms can go from bad to worse in a matter of hours. We take your pet emergencies very seriously at Blue Sky Veterinary Clinic and want to make sure your pet receives the proper care needed for any situation.


Like the rest of us, rodents seek warmer surroundings as the outside temperatures drop. Those rodents must go somewhere and often they seek refuge inside our homes and garages. If you use any kind of rodenticide, please understand ALL of the chemical ingredients in rodenticides are harmful to your pet, and if ingested, the results could be fatal. If you do have to use them, you’ll want to put them in areas that aren’t accessible to your pets. Mouse or rat traps that lure the rodent in often have poison on the inside of the trap. These traps can seem like something interesting to chew on, so making sure you place those traps in areas that your pet can’t reach. This is highly recommended to ensure safety for your pets as well as any children in your home. Environmental factors play a large roll in pet health, so we suggest keeping your pet's environment free of rodenticides.


The fall is typically when hunting season kicks off in most states. If your pet has access to areas where there could be hunters, you’ll want to make sure your pet is out of harm's way. A helpful tip is to make sure you and your pet are wearing bright, visible colors anytime you are in hunting grounds. Bright orange is a great color that most hunters can easily identify. Be sure to keep your pet out of hunting zones if they have unsupervised roaming time, a dog wandering alone is much more at risk than a dog with a human who is wearing bright colors.


The fall seems to be a popular time for people to change the fluids in their cars. This is a big risk for pets because some of these fluids tend to taste sweet. Antifreeze is one of the sweet tasting fluids that should be cleaned up right away if spilled. Any ethylene glycol-based fluids like coolants are also highly toxic and should be wiped up immediately. If your pet does ingest any car fluids, bring them to the veterinary clinic immediately, as these liquids can cause severe neurological damage and ultimately can be fatal. The symptoms of ingestion include vomiting, weakness, increased water intake, and kidney failure.


The fall brings the back-to-school rush where families load up on fresh school supplies and new backpacks. Dogs seem to gravitate to kids backpacks because they often have old lunches or left-over snacks hidden inside. Your dog can smell the food, and some might do anything to get access to the delicious snack, so keeping book bags out of reach keeps you from having to clean up a mess and risk your dog getting sick. Most of the school supplies that are on the market today are non-toxic, so there isn’t much risk with that side of things, however ingesting things like pens, pencils, paperclips, binders, and paper can cause major intestinal discomfort and could even cause a blockage that would require surgery to remove.

Fall is a beautiful time of year with the changing colors and crisp air. Keeping your pet’s safety in mind, as the seasons change, will help you ease into the shorter days with less to worry about and fewer pet emergencies.

5 Foods Your Dog Should Never Eat

Most dogs take an interest in human food, and it’s fun to share snacks with your best four-legged friend so long as you know the foods to avoid.  The big question is if the snack you are enjoying is safe for your dog to ingest because there are some foods that are VERY dangerous and…
Read more

Canine Influenza: H3N2 and H3N8

What is canine influenza? Canine Influenza Virus (CIV) is a viral respiratory infection.  There are two strains that have been identified in US – Type A Canine Influenza Viruses: H3N2 and H3N8.  Both viruses have appeared in Oregon.  The first H3N2 case in Oregon was February 2018 after a dog returned home from visiting Reno. …
Read more

How to Avoid Cheat Grass in Central Oregon

How to Avoid Cheat Grass in Central Oregon Cheat grass is a plant that is native to Europe and Asia. While we have no idea how it found its way to North America, it is now a reality that pet-owners face in Central Oregon. What is Cheat Grass Cheat grass, also known as downy brome,…
Read more

Bread Dough Toxicity – Why Dough is a Don’t

We are quickly moving towards the time of year where baking becomes a frequent event.  Our canine and feline companions love to hoover below us trying to pick up a scrap of anything they can find.   Did you know that uncooked bread dough can be lethal to your pets? That rising loaf of dough once…
Read more

Mushroom Poisonings in Central Oregon

Starting in May each year Bend veterinarians begin to see emergency cases of toxic mushroom ingestions most commonly by canine patients.  Toxic mushrooms are classified into four categories ( A, B, C, and D)  Category A mushrooms typically cause cellular damage especially in the liver and kidneys. Category B and C typically demonstrate neurological signs, and Category…
Read more