5 Foods Your Dog Should Never Eat

Most dogs take an interest in human food, and it’s fun to share snacks with your best four-legged friend so long as you know the foods to avoid.  The big question is if the snack you are enjoying is safe for your dog to ingest because there are some foods that are VERY dangerous and should be avoided altogether. The following list of common five foods are ones your dog should never eat.

*GARLIC and/or ONIONS*

Garlic and Onions are very bad for your pet and can cause red blood cell damage and major gastrointestinal issues for your dog. Some symptoms from garlic and onion poisoning include diarrhea, vomiting, lethargy, pale gums, red or brown discolored urine, and weakness. Dogs can also experience abdominal tenderness and cramping from ingesting these foods.

*XYLITOL*

Xylitol is a sweetener used in many products including gum, candy, toothpaste and some baked goods. Your dog’s liver enzymes will become elevated quickly and liver failure can happen. The Xylitol creates a huge increase in the release of insulin, which puts too much work on the liver and the overload causes the liver to fail. Symptoms of poisoning include those related to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar levels), which are lethargy, loss of coordination, weakness, vomiting and eventually seizures.

*METHYLXANTHINES (Chocolate, Coffee and Caffeine) *

Most people have heard at some point, that chocolate is not good for dogs. But it’s the substance called methylxanthine that is so toxic. Methylxanthine is found in cacao seeds, the fruit of the plant used to make coffee and it’s also found in the nut extracts used in soda pop. Baking chocolate and all dark chocolate has a very high concentration of this substance. Signs of poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, heart palpitations, hyperactivity, excessive thirst, tremors, seizures, frequent urination, and panting.

*GRAPES*

If your dog even eats one grape, you need to act and call your veterinarian right away. Grapes are one of the most dangerous foods your four-legged friend could possibly eat, and immediate attention is necessary due to the extreme consequences from this fruit. Grapes can cause sudden, acute kidney failure and although scientists don’t know exactly why they do know that it’s impossible to know which dogs will react to grapes and which ones won’t. Because it isn’t known what it is about the grape that poisons a dog, it’s hard to know if your dog will be affected by it or not, so it’s best for everyone to keep grapes away from their dogs.  Signs and symptoms of grape poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, dehydration, heavy panting, dry nose and mouth and pale gums.

 *MACADAMIA NUTS*

Keep your dog away from macadamia nuts and any foods containing macadamia nuts. Scientists have tried to pinpoint why dogs can’t tolerate macadamia nuts and although the cause is still unknown, we do know that dogs show definite adverse reactions when they’ve ingested this nut. Signs and symptoms include vomiting, weakness, muscle tremors, fever, and depression. Although poisonous, consumption of these nuts does not typically cause fatalities in dogs, they do make them very sick and if the dog isn’t treated for the symptoms of dehydration and fever, the dog’s life could be in danger.

Moderation is best when feeding your dog people food, but when they do get to partake in the delicious snacks you share, just keep these five foods in mind and avoid them altogether.

If your pet has eaten any of the above-listed foods, or if you suspect that your pet has eaten any of the foods on this list, please note the amount ingested and contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.

Comments are closed.